Subject: After all, this is _exactly_ how a key channel works!
From: Alan Lloyd <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 10:37:04 -0500

After all, this is _exactly_ how a key channel works!

>>> Mark Thompson <[email-masked]> 12/11/95 09:04am >>>
Bob Ingold writes:
>Lightwave treats transparency in the opposite way most other programs
>follow.  By fading to black you are actually reducing the transparency.
>Fade to white instead and you will get the results you intended.

While this is perhaps not visually intuitive, it makes sense when you think
about it. Transparency is set from 0% to 100%. These percentages equate
to 0 to 255 using an 8bit representation. A transparency map with a pixel
value of zero sets transparency to 0% and pixels at 255 yield 100%.
Therefore black is opaque and white is transparent. It almost makes you
wonder why other software would do it differently :-)
  *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
  *           Mark Thompson           http://www.mv.com/ipusers/fusion  *
  *         Fusion Films, Inc.              [email-masked]          *
  * Director of Animation and Special FX      (603) 424-1829            *
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~